In SQL Server 2008, Microsoft had introduced IntelliSense feature in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). As a Developer or as a DBA you may face issues with IntelliSense feature not to be working or not displaying latest scheme changes when you are writing TSQL code within the Query Window of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). In this tip, we will take a look at the steps you can follow to quickly enable and refresh IntelliSense in SSMS to resolve this issue of IntelliSense not displaying the latest schema changes.
What is IntelliSense feature and how it can help?
IntelliSense feature reads internal metadata and lists all of the available objects and its properties, thereby helping Database Developers, DBAs effectively and quickly write TSQL scripts.
However, there are certain occasions when the IntelliSense feature in SSMS doesn’t work. During such scenarios, one can follow the below-mentioned steps to refresh the IntelliSense feature of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). The fix mentioned in this article is applicable for SSMS 2008 and higher versions.
The steps mentioned in this article are applicable across SQL Server 2008 Management Studio, SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Studio, SQL Server 2012 Management Studio, SQL Server 2014 Management Studio, and SQL Server 2016 Management Studio.
How to Enable IntelliSense Feature in SSMS
- Open SSMS, click Tools -> Options -> Expand Text Editor -> Expand Transact-SQL and click on IntelliSense as shown in the snippet below. Under Transact-SQL IntelliSense Settings ensure “Enable IntelliSense” checkbox is enabled.
Related SQL Server Articles…
- SQL Server Management Studio Resources: Configuration Tips, Articles and FAQs for DBAs & Devs
- Database Corruption: How to Repair Suspect Database in SQL Server
- DBA Tutorial: SQL Server Database Backup Tutorial for DBAs and Developers
- How to Enable BACKUP CHECKSUM Feature in SQL Serverfor all Database Using Trace Flag
- When Last Time DBCC CHECKDB ran successfully on all the database in an SQL Server Instance
- Why SQL Server Log backups fails and Full backup succeeds? Learn how to Fix “BACKUP detected corruption in the database log error in SQL Server”
How to Verify Whether IntelliSense Feature is enabled in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS )
One can verify whether IntelliSense feature is enabled in SSMS click on Query menu and see whether “IntelliSense Enabled” as highlighted in the snippet below.
How to Refresh IntelliSense feature to view Latest Schema Changes in SSMS
If you are unable to see the latest scheme changes using IntelliSense feature, then you can refresh it using the following method. This method will help you Troubleshoot IntelliSense in SQL Server Management Studio.
Open New Query Window -> Go to Edit -> Expand IntelliSense -> Click Refresh Local Cache or press the shortcut key (CTRL + SHIFT + R) to refresh the local cache as shown in the snippet below.